What happened to gen 2 CLI downloads?

I can’t find anywhere to get the most recent gen2 download . The CLI from Mac homebrew and the convox doc points to 3.0.15 currently and I need 20200428134512

1 Like

In case anyone else is looking:

I’d be nice if gen2 didn’t completely evaporate from the official convox documentation for a while, especially since gen3 doesn’t seem to be a just drop in replacement.

1 Like

@jay.janssen looking for this?

Sure, but was there something I missed that indicated that existed?

When you go to http://docs.convox.com at the bottom of the page there’s a link to v2 docs…

Is there a guide about upgrading from v2 to v3?

@alon https://docs.convox.com/help/upgrading

2 Likes

Has anyone performed a zero-downtime migration from gen 2 to gen 3?

The export feature is very cool, but I can’t really do that for my Postgres database and S3 buckets because they’re getting very large, and I also want to avoid any downtime. I would prefer to continue using these existing resources in my AWS account, and just configure the gen 3 app to use them through standard environment variables (e.g. DATABASE_URL).

My plan:

• Set up a new gen 3 rack and get my app running
    • Both apps would be pointing to the same RDS and Elasticache resources
  • Then once the gen 3 rack is running and tested, change my main DNS records to point to the gen 3 rack
  • Wait for ~24 hours or so
  • Shut down the old gen 2 rack once all traffic is going to gen 3

I’m just worried that I might run into problems when I go to delete the old gen 2 rack, since it’s attached to the RDS and S3 resources. These have deletion protection enabled, but is there any way I can safely “detach” these resources from my rack? I just want to leave them in the AWS account and continue using them.

1 Like

I’m in a similar boat - the databases in my apps are quite large.

One of my considerations is that we have app-level resources. I’m not sure how to safely move them out of the stack and into V3.

As a result it may be simpler to create a fresh database in the V3 app and sync over the data.

I am considering using something https://aws.amazon.com/dms/ to sync databases across apps.

I will be tackling this next year so any input to how you approached the upgrade will be appreciated!

Any insights after going through with this upgrade plan, @nathan.f77 and @rob.sharp?
Thanks!

@alon Sorry I’m still on gen 2, and haven’t tried gen 3 yet. But I did talk to Convox support and they let me know that I can delete the “tags” on any AWS resources that I want to keep (e.g. Postgres DB.) This will make them “disappear” from the gen 2 rack so that Convox doesn’t find them anymore. Then I could delete the gen 2 rack to shut it down, and it will skip any resources where the tags were manually removed.

After creating the gen 3 rack, I can manually add the Postgres DB to the new VPC so that the gen 3 servers can connect to it. I’m still on an older version of Postgres (9.x), so I’ll need some downtime in order to upgrade to Postgres >= 12. But once I’m on >= 10 then I can use logical replication for zero downtime upgrades and migrations..

That’s still my plan for the future, but Convox gen 2 is still running great and I’m not in a hurry to migrate (until AWS starts deprecating things)

1 Like