App in failed status

I have one app in my version 2 rack which is in failed status.
convox apps -r prod

content-collector-g2 failed RJYIIULKWAM

In the last release promote, helthcheck faild,
the reason was because the first thing the app do is a call to an external server that was responding error 500 and if this call failed the app can’t start .
The old containers where running fortunatly, but with a less number of container than requested by scaling properties.
After a day the external server starts to work again, and the app returned to work with the same number of container requested by the scaling properties.

Now the app is in faild state but is running .
If I try to promote a new release with
convox releases promote RCZACGSDCKL -a content-collector-g2 -r prod
the response is
Waiting for app to be ready…
and stay stuck

also a rollback does not work (with convox app cancel content-colletor-g2 -r prod)

how can I return with running state for this app ?
Thanks in advance
Regards, Paolo

Hello Paolo,

It seems like the CloudFormation stack for this app is likely stuck in some kind of FAILED_ROLLBACK state.

To troubleshoot you should look in the AWS Console > CloudFormation
There you will find a stack named after the rack and serval other stacks named rackName-appName these application stacks will also have Nested Stacks associated with their Convox services and resources.

Identify which stack or multiple stack are stuck in this FAILED state and select them. You can then scroll through the Events and Resources tab to check for logs and effected resources.

Once you have identified the failed resources from the AWS Console in the upper right hand part of the page choose the Stack actions drop down and select Continue update rollback You will be prompted with an option to skip resources during the rollback. Ensure you are skipping the resources which are failing and continue the rollback.

Once completed you should be able to deploy/promote as usual.

Regards.
Nick
Convox Engineer

2 Likes