Disabling EC2 instance public IPV4 addresses

AWS is going to start charging for ip addresses: New – AWS Public IPv4 Address Charge + Public IP Insights | AWS News Blog. Is there a way to disable public ipv4 addresses on our EC2 instances? I see that there is an option for private networking Convox Docs but that isn’t what I’m looking for. The costs of the 3 NAT gateways will increase our costs far more than the public ips will. I want this to still be a public rack but just to have the load balancer communicate communicate with the EC2 instances via ipv6 addresses that don’t have any costs associated with them.

I see that there is an option to have load balancers be dualstack to communicate over ipv4/6. ECS also appears to have support for ipv6. And you can set a subnet to auto assign an ipv6 address and not auto assign a ipv4 one. This seems like it should be possible, but I’m not seeing how since Convox is creating/updating all of these pieces automatically.

I did the math and this change will be a 10-15% increase on our AWS bill, which is fairly large.

1 Like

Hey @scott

We are actively looking at adding some cost savings features that would minimize the amount of public IPv4 addresses being used by a rack. I will be sure to update this thread once the feature is live in-case you miss the patch notes.

Regards,
Nick

1 Like